Connect to us on social media and join in the conversation
Purpose of committee
Council meetings have recommenced and you can see the dates of the upcoming meetings by viewing the Calendar of Meetings on this link. However please note all meetings will be held “virtually” on Microsoft Teams, so no press or public will be able to physically attend the meetings. However a recording of each meeting will be made available to view on this link https://www.caerphilly.gov.uk/Services/Health-and-wellbeing/Coronavirus/Council-services-during-Coronavirus/Council-meetings
As part of modernising local government in Wales, the council has embarked on a cabinet style of local government. We consulted the public about the way all councils in Wales have been given to choose their preferred way of conducting business. This consultation involving 1000's of people in the county borough resulted in a decisive decision to select the Leader plus Cabinet system. This new system created a new political structure for the council speeding up decision-making and maintaining an open and transparent form of community government.
The Cabinet is responsible for making most of the council's policy decisions and consists of a leader, a deputy leader and eight Cabinet members drawn from the 73 councillors elected.
Each Cabinet member has a specific portfolio area and their role is to drive forward their part of a Cabinet Work Programme. It is important that everyone has a clear understanding of what the Cabinet has identified as the most important issues, how we intend to tackle them and what we intend to achieve, by when.
The Cabinet's progress is monitored during the year through Scrutiny Committees and assessment of its' performance will take place at end of the year. Important issues, such as setting the council budget, are made by the Full Council, while some other day-to-day decisions are delegated to senior officers.
For enquiries relating to the Cabinet Office please contact:
Karen Green (PA to the Leader and Cabinet Office)
Tel: 01443 864400 Email: email@example.com
- Councillor Shayne Cook
- Councillor Nigel George Cabinet Member for Waste and Public Protection
- Councillor Colin Gordon Cabinet Member for Corporate Services
- Councillor Philippa Marsden Leader of Council
- Councillor Sean Morgan Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Economy and Enterprise
- Councillor Mrs Lisa Phipps Cabinet Member for Housing and Property
- Councillor John Ridgewell Cabinet Member for Environment and Infrastructure
- Councillor Mrs Eluned Stenner Cabinet Member for Performance and Customer Service
- Councillor Ross Whiting Cabinet Member for Learning and Achievement
Support officer: Charlotte Evans.
Phone: 01443 864210